Monday 13 April 2015

Aisha Khalid - Kashmiri Shawl

Aisha khalid did ann installation for the jameel prize 2011 at the Victoria and Albert Museum. This was an interesting piece for me as it included the paisley element which is very obvious element n my own work but the story behind Aishas work is what really captured me. similar to my own work I like to use personal and symbolic elements. Aisha's shawl was extremely beautiful to look at but the story and idea behind it was a completely different subject. ''Kashmiri Shawl' is a cashmere cloth pierced with 300,000 gold-plated pins which create a traditional paisley pattern. For Khalid, the sharp pins symbolise the agony of the people in occupied Kashmir.' This is an example of another artist who's beautiful work has a hidden inspiring story behind it.




1 comment: